I’ve heard more things about my teen years now as an “adult” than when I was an actual teenager. You’ll feel invincible. Love is the sweetest. You’re coming of age and you get to figure out who you are as a person. But now that I’ve gone through my teens and have had maybe a not-so-traditional experience, I’m here to tell you: they’re all lying.
Yes, you feel invincible, but that doesn’t come until your later teens and until you do something really stupid because of said “invincibility” and years of awkwardness. Yes, love feels real and all-consuming and like you’ll never have that feeling again, but that’s because of things called hormones running wild and you not knowing how to control them. And needless to say, you almost never figure out who you are or what you want to do. Not even in college, or university, or in your first full-time job sometimes.
So here’s some things I wish I knew when I was going into my dreadful and actually quite strange teenage years.
1. Acne is not the end of the world. Don’t pick at them, but also don’t start crying when a nasty human at school calls you a “grater face”. He’s going nowhere in life and your face ends up really pretty.
2. It’s okay not to be okay sometimes. Yes, emotions run high with boys, and your sister and your parents, but don’t take it out on yourself like you’re going to think of doing every night. You are so valuable.
3. Boys are stupid. End of story. No, seriously don’t waste your time with them. You might think it’ll last forever but you’ll either get hurt, cheated on, or barely even remember them by the time you turn 20.
4. If you feel like doing something (and you know you won’t regret it), do it! Don’t give in to peer pressure no matter how hard it is. If you do, you’ll realize you’re really not like everyone else and it’ll feel like a struggle to keep up with whatever trend you’re following.
5. You’re not going to get any taller. You should start learning how to walk in heels, like yesterday.
6. Hang out with people more! You’re moving countries in a few years and it will be a little easier with a few great friends for comfort and company than posting your feelings on Facebook and waiting for someone to comment.
7. Stop stressing over simple things. Just choose your priorities and stick to those. Stop trying to be the over-achiever I know you are and stop trying to be great at everything (even though you are pretty good at a lot of things).
8. Don’t stalk boys. Just…don’t. And don’t be mean to boys who stalk you either! I’m not saying encourage them because we don’t want creepers continuing to creep, but there’s no need to cause a scene when a boy you don’t like gives you Valentine’s Day card through his best friend.
9. Your ride-or-die will still be your ride-or-die when you’re 22. Just saying, you pick great girlfriends throughout the years.
10. As weird as it might seem, people will actually look up to you as an example of either beauty or confidence or some area of your life that you don’t see in yourself. Always put your best foot forward, you never know who is taking their social cues from you. Just be confident!
11. Stay passionate about art! It won’t become your full-time job or pay some bills (you are not Van Gogh) but there’s so much more to it than just drawing. And you’ll discover it if you stick with it! You could discover so much more about yourself and it’s an excellent “de-stresser” and way to meet new people.
12. Don’t date boys who come to church just to see you. Don’t do it woman. It might seem cute at the moment but you need to be waiting for the man who’s there to get closer to God, not girls.
13. Finally, don’t procrastinate on things that are just sensible. Learn how to ride a bicycle. Learn how to drive. Don’t sleep on getting your first job. Don’t wait til the last minute for eating healthy or working out. Stop being so hard-headed and stubborn and listen to people if you know it’s good for you.
There you go! Now I’m sure if I wanted to, I could keep going. But I’m quite satisfied with this list. Let me know in the comments some of the things that would be on your list and don’t forget to like! Have a beautiful day.